JP asked me how the PDC applies strengths and assets based development to staff development. I referred to work in an earlier entry about Skyview Academy . I took the following steps as my attempt to incorporate strengths and assets applied to what the school wanted to get better at.
1. Identify what the school wants and agree to a model they aspire to. (They showed me a model for block instruction that they liked).
2. I study the model to make sure I understand it.
3. I conduct a series of low-inference observations and produce an observation report for that teacher. It presents the low-inference data and then I add at the end what I think they did well in terms of the model they aspire to.
4. After observing every teacher (not necessary to do everyone), I produce an Assets Based report of the school with a matrix of their strengths.
5. Design a full day (or some session) of PD that is focused on folks sharing their strengths and promising practices. Near the end of the session design next steps....usually a focus on a narrower aspect of the larger topic. Repeat steps 1 to 5.